Had to share

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
garble

Had to share

Post by garble » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:57 am

I thought this story was too funny not to share. I was talking to a good friend yesterday and the subject of my salary came up. He said "you've been in radio for a long time now, you must be doing pretty good?" and I responded "I make a decent living, just over 35K last year". My friend stared blankly at me and said with genuine confusion "is that a good wage in your business?" I busted out laughing and said "yea, it took me 10 years to get to that amount!"...it was a priceless moment. He's an engineer making roughly 85K a year and honestly thought I made more than him because I am "on the radio". I'm sure lot's of you have similar stories to this one.

danno

Re: Had to share

Post by danno » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:28 pm

You Would be SURPRIZED.. at the Jobs, You might turn your nose up toThat Pay one hell of ALOT more than radio.. there are studies done every year about "The Best Professions", and what the average pay for those jobs are... WANNA MAKE ALOT OF MONEY... be a garbage man, work for the City! in some cities they're making upwards of $60-75K, work for the Federal Government, you have no doubt seen what kind of SPENDING is going on in Washington DC, work for the Post Office(they're going under!) but what the Hell the person delivering your mail or selling you stamps is making 3-4 times what the Average on-air radio person is... be a SALESMAN! those people IF they apply themselves make alot more money than you do at the radio station...then there are Teachers, truck drivers the list is endless, on the average they would bring in more than the average full time radio salary(the last i heard it was around $30K) i'm doing a job outside of radio, i thought i would NEVER DO, and making 3 times what i was making in Radio, i've never made more money in my life!

FACT IS...For the "Skill" and "Talent" Involved(ya know, NOT everyone you run into on the street can CRACK A MIC AND DO A RADIO SHOW) so, tell me if i'm wrong but RADIO HAS TO BE THE LOWEST PAYING PROFESSION IN AMERICA

jjenkins

Post by jjenkins » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:22 am

if you were worth more money you would be paid more money. Apparently you are worth 35k.

danno

Post by danno » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:29 pm

jjenkins wrote:if you were worth more money you would be paid more money. Apparently you are worth 35k.
I SAID 35K was THE "Average" salary today for radio talent, NOT WHAT MY SALARY WAS[./b these days 35K is not much of a living wage. i dare say there are alot of people working for 35K that are worth more.

jjenkins

Post by jjenkins » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:21 pm

you get paid what you're worth, not what you think you are worth. welcome to the real world where you aren't worth all that much.

danno

Post by danno » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:12 am

jjenkins wrote:you get paid what you're worth, not what you think you are worth. welcome to the real world where you aren't worth all that much.
Yes, and its driven by the Economics of the business. when Radio is downsizing, EVERYBODY is worth less than they were a few years ago regardless of Talent, which was my point.

jjenkins

Post by jjenkins » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:07 am

Corps like Cumulus and Clear Channel and ABC/CBS etc. have tons of cash and if you were brining in an audience worth the money they would have it for you. Stop blaming things outside of yourself and get to work.

danno

Post by danno » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:53 pm

jjenkins wrote:Corps like Cumulus and Clear Channel and ABC/CBS etc. have tons of cash and if you were brining in an audience worth the money they would have it for you. Stop blaming things outside of yourself and get to work.
did you mean "BRINGING" in an Audience? as to your Pollyanna post, Boy are you Naive.

jjenkins

Post by jjenkins » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:06 pm

If you were worth more money by brining advertisers and audience to the table you would be offered more money to keep you happy. It's basic capitalism kid. Don't be mad that your "talents" aren't worth as much as you wish they were. NEWSFLASH: you're average and easily replaced. Maybe you should go into some other line of work?

danno

Post by danno » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:02 pm

jjenkins wrote:If you were worth more money by brining advertisers and audience to the table you would be offered more money to keep you happy. It's basic capitalism kid. Don't be mad that your "talents" aren't worth as much as you wish they were. NEWSFLASH: you're average and easily replaced. Maybe you should go into some other line of work?
i guess your line of work is being a DUMB F-K and doesn't require Correct Spelling..YOU STILL SPELLED ''BRINGING" wrong.
so, Ok Sparky, in a Perfect World EVERYBODY would be offered More Money, because they are BRINGING in Money and advertisers and so on... most people with their eyes open KNOW that as Wonderful as they are, they WILL be paid what the "Market" IS at the moment for Good Air Talent. Right Now the Market is weak, the economy is weak. DID YOU GET THE MEMO? i'm not making excuses, i don't have to, i like so many others are just happy to have a job, the same job in which i made alot more money before the shit hit the fan 5-6 years ago. same talent, rating increases and success... across the country Wages are Down, not only in radio but Everywhere, Hiring is also down, and in the next few years, in many cases full time will be replaced with Part-Time, even Temps will be hired replacing Full Time people, due to Economic conditions and tax increases on business already down due to the weak economy. this has nothing to do with your talent or my talent or anybody's talent. want evidence? How many Voice trackers are on your station instead of Live on-air people?